Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Potawatomi Ribbon Pattern in an old Navajo Trick

When Venida Chanault recently became president of Haskell Indian Nations University, I used an old Navajo teacher trick to create Potawatomi decorations for a library hosted party.  Teachers can make anything out of butcher paper!  Think how you can decorate using butcher paper.

I was asked to come up with large designs for a reception dinner hosted by the library.  Although I had a booklist to prepare, decorating for her event was pushed to high priority.  My mom, who sewed these traditional patterns in ribbonwork for my brother's dance regalia, was there for moral support. We searched for a traditional pattern, then practiced and adopted it for our own.  Then mass produced for ten, 10 x 1 foot table runners.



Practice your design to make it yours
Pinpoint one design.
Trying to remember how the design worked


Table runners are 10 feet long.



No comments:

Post a Comment